A blog about being a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, and an OT. Making life more fun one day at a time!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pregnancy Stigma...it's exciting!

You don't want to find out if you are having a boy or girl!? Are you going to breastfeed? Are you going back to work full time? Really..COTTON DIAPERS?! You're thinking of MAKING your own baby food? Do you have names picked out? Do you want a boy or girl? What are you decorating with?

Those questions are full of personal decisions and commitment. Most of them will NEVER involve the person who is asking, but they are all SO controversial!!

So here are all my answers:

NO, we are not finding out what gender our baby will be.
It is a personal choice.



Breastfeeding...well....I MIGHT try to nurse, but I know that I will pump. I am still unsure of the skin on skin contact and being VERY sensitive in that area, but I would LOVE for my baby to be able to feed off of the food straight from the source which ever that may be. Pumping or nursing I will figure that out. Oh, and if I can not for some reason, or if my milk doesn't come in well than I will have to formula feed. Although that is not my first choice, it is ALWAYS a last resort.

Work...I could write an entire blog about this decision. However at this time it is undetermined. I am going to apply for a part time position and work 3 days a week, but if I am unable to get that position I may stay full time and try it out. I worked HARD for my Masters, and no I don't need to work...but I LOVE what I do, and I do well with structure. I may change my mind when I meet my little person, I believe everything will fall into place just as it should.



Yes, we are going to be using cotton diapers. I am determined and very excited about this. I have an awesome co-worker who LOVES her cotton diapers and RAVES about Cotton Babies. Did you know each child who wears disposable diapers produces 1 TON of waste in our landfills? Just an FYI :)


Yes, we are going to make our own baby food. There are many things in baby food that is not needed. I want my baby to enjoy the REAL taste of fruits and veges, not mixed with artificial flavors and sweeteners. Also, I think of timing, and babies only eat pureed food for a couple months, then they start eating what adults eat. In the scheme of things that is not very long.

Yes, we have some names picked out. I am pretty much settled on the first names, it is the middle ones that may change. I LOVE the girls name Allyson, and the boys name Adam. But LOTS can change in 23 weeks!


I do not have a preference if I want a boy or girl...I want a tiny human being who is perfect no matter what gender.

I am going to decorate with OWLS!!! I am so excited about it! My mom is making the window treatments, bed skirt, and a little blanket with an owl fabric I found at Joann's Fabrics. Yes, I bought ALL of the owl fabric they had in my pattern. Not because I don't want anyone else to have it, but because I needed all of it for my mom to make my bedroom set :) Because the owl pattern is fairly busy the rest of the nursery will be decorated with solid colored accents.

I LOVE owls, but you could go over board with decorating with them, and I am more of a simple decorator with solids and a little design. I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

So friends, those are my answers, and my PERSONAL choices. I wouldn't have choices if there were not options, but there are, and we are each entitled to our own choices :) I personally do not care if you cloth diaper, make your own baby food, beast feed, or find out the gender of your baby. But if you do I would LOVE some advice/tips/hints!!

4 comments:

  1. Since I don't have any children I don't have any advice but I like hearing about what other people decide on. I think it's so interesting how many options people have and why they choose what they do. I think that's one of the great things about parenting...there are very few true wrong ways. Do what you want! Also I LOVE your owl theme-how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well V I don't have much advice as I'm moving through this wonderful transition in life just a bit ahead of you. I'm making choices and loving all the options. I'm on board with breast feeding and will only use formula if it doesn't work out.... The diaper thing is still in high debate, I want to reduce our carbon footprints but I'm not sold on cloth just yet. We are still choosing names but making a list of favs for now. Since I most likely will stay at home full time I want to make our babies food and use organic products as much as possible. I will have the time with Jake leaving for sea duty months on end. And finally, we are decorating our nursery in MONKEYS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I did end up breastfeeding even though i was VERY sensitive in that area before getting pregnant and I am so glad I did. Find a good lactition consultant that can be there with you as soon as the baby is born (if you don't have your own, tell the hospital when you are admitted that you would like one there ASAP.) Don't be shy with him/her, they will show you how to nurse the right way, (the way that doesn't hurt) and you will be sooooo suprised that it really doesn't feel like anything at all. The first two weeks are tough b/c once you dont' have the extra hands of the LC then it's all up to you. If your hubby doesn't mind helping that then big bonuses for you!!!! Just get through the first 2 weeks and you'll be set!! It's easy from there!! Pump and freeze any chance you can so that when you go back to work, the baby can still drink breastmilk from his/her caregiver. AND IF YOU NEED ANYTHING.... LET ME KNOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should at least try to breastfeed. It really is the best for baby. I breastfed Ellie for 13 months, the twins longer than Ellie, and I am nursing Owen now. It is such a great experience, even though, I won't lie, the first was the hardest. You do need someone to cheer you on, and a lot of that comes from the husband. I am actually really going to miss breastfeeding, and have considered becoming a lactation consultant. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete