A blog about being a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, and an OT. Making life more fun one day at a time!

Monday, January 6, 2014

6 days in!

I can not believe it is January 6th, 2014! It is currently -10 degrees, and we have a foot of snow outside. Today was my first snow day, and tomorrow my second! (Although I think it's numbers 4&5 for my school district) 

We have been having nothing but fun over here! We rang in the New Year by staying in eating fancy cheese, chocolate fondue, and drinking a beer that tasted like BBQ sauce...ewww... At Midnight we had the best fireworks in our new neighborhood! They were going off everywhere, and they were so loud! We were lucky Allie never woke up :-) and we were in bed by 12:30am.  

The following day we went out and bought a new sectional for our family room, it was a crazy cheap deal, and has a chaise lounge on one side so we can see into the family room better from the kitchen without having a tall chair in the way. It is set to arrive this Thursday. I can't wait!

As a New Years goal last year I wanted to go to the doctor, I had not been since May 2009.  Well it took me 4 months to get a well visit with a new doctor.  I went to meet her and get "checked out" on Friday. This is leading to me getting blood work, followed by 2 weeks of a gluten free diet, and then 2 weeks of a diary free diet...and then a follow up appointment.  Not to give TMI I have a lot of stomach issues, it is forever upset. I'm hoping I can get some things sorted out...and maybe this will help me clean up my eating to loose those last 15#. 

Saturday my mom came down to babysit Allie while Scott and I (and 8 other friends) enjoyed our yearly visit to Fast Eddies. They have the coldest beer- $2.50 Coors on draft, best shrimp, and cheapest yummiest burgers! Omg...It's a good thing we only go there 1 time a year. However there was the winter storm of the century on our door step, so we had to book it home so my mom could get home safely.  

And then...Sunday came...oh man. All day I kept saying, there is not going to be that much snow, the newscasters just don't have anything else good to talk about...it can't possibly get that cold, I've never seen temperatures that cold... The BAM! It REALLY started snowing, like multiple inches of snow in an hour.  And then at noon our electricity went out. It came back on 5 minutes later, but the fridge, bathrooms, family room, and furnace were not working.  We tried everything on our end as far as resetting the electric box. Nothing...we called Ameren and they said there is an outage we should have 1/2 power and they hope it will fully be back on by 6pm. Ok, no big deal,  we can handle space heaters until 6... Then it was delayed to 8:30... We had decided we could make it through one night with the space heaters since we had 1/2 of our electricity. And then BAM! At 8:00 we lost all power. The outside temp was falling fast, and I was basically on the verge of tears while we called some new neighbors (who had power) and packed our bags. I could tell Scott didn't even know what to do at this point, how would be get out and drive on unplowed side roads to get anywhere! We sat and stared out the window at the Ameren workers in silence for quite some time. Allie had gone to sleep right before we lost full electricity and we just kept watching the temperature in her room fall...good thing she was using 4 blankets! Our plan was to leave if it got down to 50 degrees inside. Luckily at 10:30 we got full power! We plugged the fridge back in, turned on the furnace, and went to bed. What a crazy day! 

Today was a snow day. Allie was supposed to start preschool today, but it was closed, Scott's work was closed, and obviously my work was closed. The temperature made it up to 2 today, and the wind-chills have been hovering around -25.  Since we have been snowed in I have organized the cabinets, pantry, linen closet, cleaning closet, my clothes closet, vacuumed, reorganized a little in the basement, and made wayyy too much food for a family of 3. I've been keeping up with my daily workouts, doing some Insanity the past few days, and drinking lots of coffee! (And eating wayyy too much food- idle hands) 

I still haven't decided if I want to venture out tomorrow...I'm not sure if I trust myself enough. Be careful if you go out! Dress warm and bring lots of blankets just in case! 

Now enjoy some of my pics from the past 6 days :-) 

New couch- Rothman Furniture 
New workout shirt- from Ruffles With Love 

Fast Eddies pics

Snow day fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment