A blog about being a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, and an OT. Making life more fun one day at a time!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

First week wheat/gluten free...

Friends, I am not doing this "diet" cause it is the new fad.  In fact if you don't know already pizza, beer, and chocolate chip cookies are my comfort foods. I seriously freaking love all of those.  But I have ALWAYS had such bad stomach issues, my stomach is always upset. Every single day, no doubt about it.  The only thing I didn't know was HOW upset is it going to be today.  FINALLY, at the ripe old age of 30, I gave up. I sought out medical advice and had blood work done.  I do not have Celiac disease, but it is pretty certain that I have a wheat intolerance.  (side note- my cholesterol is PERFECT!)
This past week I did pretty good for the first 3 days- then I wanted a doughnut, a sandwich, some pizza, and some freaking cheeze-its (I blame most of that on Gretta) , but I ate about 80% wheat free. Now lets also get something else straight- wheat free does not mean "healthy"...I can still have M&M's (and OH, did I have some this week) and many other foods that are high in fat and calories, just no wheat. I've changed around what I am eating, which is good to do occasionally anyway.  However, we went out to lunch yesterday and I was lost.  I had no idea what to order.  Luckily my husband spoke up for me and asked for a Gluten- Free menu, which they had, I was surprised! I ordered a chicken and avocado burger without the bun, and mashed potatoes (again- not healthy- just no wheat).  It was so yummy, and I didn't have an upset stomach!!!  Scott has noticed a change as well!  I am feeling better and my stomach is pretty "calm" most days/nights.  However- at a surprise birthday party last night my friend has a cookie cake- my favorite cake ever!! I thought about just licking off the icing, and throwing away the cookie, but I'm pretty sure that's a sin.  So, I ate the whole thing, and savored every single bite. YUM!  But...guess who is paying for it today :-(

Looks like I need to have a diet very low in wheat to enjoy life :-(....or if I REALLY think something is "worth" an upset stomach, I will just have to pay the price later.

Something I have come to find this week that is AWESOME!  Are gluten free noodles.  We used to only eat the whole wheat ones made with 100% whole wheat, but the gluten free ones are made with quinoa and corn flours.  They have exactly the same calories, fat, and sodium as the wheat, however wheat has a LOT more protein, which was surprising to me  But really they taste about 10000 times better than wheat noodles.  I made spaghetti last week for our "meatless" dinner, and already made a ziti for this week. Oh- and hard cider.  I mean I LOVE beer- dark, malty, yummy beer- but I also like cider.  I need to start looking into some dry cider's though, cause this sweet stuff will get old FAST! 
Something that is NOT AWESOME- gluten free cookies, and tortilla bread crumbs.  The cookies have a weird after taste, and beginning and middle taste too.  They look like a little Famous Amos cookie, but the taste is HORRIBLE!  Also, I made a meatloaf for this week with the tortilla bread crumbs.  It tastes like I crushed up a taco in my meatloaf.  Next time I will try gluten free oats and Italian seasonings.

Anyone have any tips to being wheat free?  I think I am really going to limit it again this week- and then play around with it the following week. 

1 comment:

  1. I had a comment all typed up, and it ate it. :( My GF friend prefers rice noodles to quinoa, but I like the quinoa noodles. Pi has a good GF pizza and dessert menu!

    ReplyDelete