A blog about being a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend, and an OT. Making life more fun one day at a time!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

How I burn 600 calories in 60 minutes

I had a friend once ask how I burn so many calories.  Well I am here today to share with you one of my workouts.  This is my cardio/arms workout. I also have a cardio/legs workout, a cardio/rest of body workout, and a random workout day.  I try to lift 6 days a week, leaving only 1 day for random, or "rest" if you will.  I switch things up ALL.THE.TIME. however, this is what I have been doing lately that I have been liking.

Here is what I do to burn about 600 calories in an hour...

I ALWAYS begin with cardio.  I either do 35 min on the elliptical, or 35 min on the treadmill (basically those are the only cardio machines I like at my new gym). 

On the elliptical I try to maintain a heart rate of about 155 beats per minute (BPM) I use my Polar FT4 to keep an eye on things.

I have 2 workouts for the treadmill- my heart rate is usually around 160 BPM during these workouts

SPRINTS- do 15 of these- don't worry about stopping and starting the belt, just jump off
20 seconds running (10.0 MPH at a 5% incline)
40 seconds rest (standing on the sides)

LONG RUN- incline of 2% the ENTIRE TIME!
3 minutes warm up at 3.7 MPH
30 minutes run at 6.0 MPH
2 minutes cool down at 3.5 MPH

Then I LIFT!!!  I love lifting, always have, always will!

I do 10 reps (or as many as I can when I am upping weight), and I go through the entire cycle 2 times. 

Chest press/bench press
I use a bar with 100#, or as light as 2- 40# dumbbells
TIP: Bring the dumbbells or bar down to your CHEST, NOT your face/neck/head

Tricep dips
Straight legs, bend arms to 90 degrees at the shoulder and elbow
I just use the bench that I used for the bench press


Push-ups (CHEST TO THE FLOOR!!)
One Arm Dumbbell Rows - 45#dumbbell
Make sure to do both sides :-) also, note the flat back and weight close to the body, no arching!
 Over-head shoulder press - 60# bar ( I need to up this, but I'm scared... and I need a spot)
 
Cable tricep pull down- 80#
KEEP YOUR CORE TIGHT!!!  Don't substitute with other muscles!  TRICEPS ONLY! 

OPTIONAL- If I don't want to do the overhead shoulder press I grab a set of 25# dumbbells and do a bicep curl  into a shoulder press. KEEP elbows right next to your body during the bicep curl

I hope you got a few good ideas, or new exercises to try!  I will post my leg workout, and my random "extra" lift workout at a later date.  (my random includes more back/abs/hips)

No comments:

Post a Comment